[argyllcms] Using I1Pro to calibrate an HDTV?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:12:32 -0600

I've used my Eye One Pro to calibrate and profile my monitors.   I now
have an LCD HDTV set together with a Blu Ray Player which can make full
use of the TV screen to display photographs.  (Previous DVD players
seemed quite limited in this regard.)  So I would like to at least
calibrate the HDTV for photo viewing purposes.

I presume I can somehow hang the probe on the TV while it is connected
to a laptop and take readings of test patterns, several of which are
available.  I presume this won't damage the LCD screen, but I would like
confirmation of that.

However, it would be easier to use the I1 in `beamer' mode, which I
believe people here have discussed before.  (Xrite sells a software
module for that purpose for $199, which I am not particularly interested
in buying.)  Can anyone review briefly how I go about doing that?

Having calibrated the TV, I presume I can also build a profile which I
can use to modify images I put on DVDs for viewing,  but I am unclear
about exactly how that would work.  I've done something this for
printing, so I am sure I can reconstruct what I did, but some reminders
would be appreciated.
--
Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University