[argyllcms] Scanin - using more general profiles...

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:42:39 +0000

Hi,

Could I make a trivial feature request for scanin - namely downgrading the message "ICC profile '%s' is expected to be an input profile" from an error to a warning?

Today I found myself wanting to use scanin to read an artificially rendered chart, for which sRGB was more appropriate than a scanner or camera profile. There are several ways I could have solved this, but making that change to scanin.c worked nicely and was probably the quickest option :)

In case anyone's interested in why I should want to do such a thing, I'm trying to pin down the source of some non-monoticities I'm seeing with Gutenprint in raw mode, and trying to determine whether the cause is mechanical or something to do with the dither algorithms. I'm "printing" a scannable n-colour testchart, running it through Gutenprint's "unprint" utility, downsampling the resulting *huge* PNM file to a more moderately-sized TIFF, then feeding that to scanin. Seems a long way round, but it gives me a .ti3 which I can then analyze in the same way as genuine printed-then-spectro-read charts.

Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to make available the stuff I've been working on with Gutenprint and printer-tuning - including a utility for printing DeviceN tiffs, as produced by printtarg, in raw mode.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson