[argyllcms] Re: Printer profiling: Canon Pixma iP4850 CYMK

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 07:12:16 -0700

On Apr 30, 2013, at 5:18 PM, edmund ronald <edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Re. printer gamut, I always wonder whether in vendor mode the printer
> manufacturer is not using some optimised technology better than what
> you can get from standard ICC profiles, eg going directly from sRGB to
> printer space with the knowledge that the source gamut is sRGB.

Whatever they're doing, if you look at a plot of the gamut, you see that
they're often showing that the printer / paper is capable of outputting L=0,
a=0, b=0, with a huge color range at L values not much higher. Considering some
of these papers don't even come close to single-digit L values, I think it's
safe to suggest that there's something not kosher going on....

Cheers,

b&