[argyllcms] Packaging aryllcms for distros, and licence incompatibilities

  • From: Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:33:16 +0000

I'm trying to package the latest RC1 for Fedora rawhide. With some
background, Fedora is very strict on licensing.

At the moment, different pieces of the source code have different
licences, which is far from ideal. This is /okay/ for Fedora, but the
way the licence changes have been done recently does not make it clear
what files are under what licence, and also introduces some licence
incompatibilities.

For instance, there are now License.txt, License2.txt and License3.txt
files in spectro/. Does this mean that all the files without licence
headers have all three licences? Or no licence?

In one specific example, spec2cie.c is GPLv2 licensed. This is linked
with libinsttypes which is created from libinsttypes.c which is
licensed under AGPLv3. AGPLv3 is not compatible with GPLv2.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing for a easy to understand
guide on what licence is compatible with each other. At the moment, I
don't think I can (legally) build RC1 for Fedora. Please advise,
thanks.

Richard.