[argyllcms] Re: [Openicc] monitor internal LUT [was Questions about color pickers...]

  • From: Craig Ringer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:08:14 +0900

Roger Breton wrote:
Is there any chance, one day, to see Argyll able to drive these internal
LUTs?

I have a CG21 here and a CG221 at work -- I'd love that. But I suspect that
would be a tall order for Graeme, and he'd probably need to have a unit of
each on his desk ;-)

I have an SDK from Eizo that includes documentation on their extensions to the USB HID Monitor protocol. In particular, it covers programming the internal LUTs in the monitor, adjusting the RGB gains, etc.

Unfortunately I do not have permission from Eizo to release this documentation. I'm still talking with them, but it's not looking overly promising. If worst comes to worst I can probably write a sample application that demos the features and release that, but I'm still hoping to get their permission to release (or get them to release) the PDF documentation and the header file for their protocol extensions.

If you are able to contact Eizo and request this as well, explaining that you'd like to be able to use it with open source software like Argyll CMS and lprof to use their monitors in more sophisticated ways than you can with competing products, that'd be excellent. I have mailed you the email address of the contact I've been dealing with at Eizo off-list.

At some point I'd like to add automatic calibration support to lprof, where lprof can tweak the monitor brightness and RGB gains without user intervention using feedback from the colour meter. This was my initial motivation for looking into the Eizo HID protocol, but I'd be really excited by support for programming the internal 14-bit RGB LUT too.

--
Craig Ringer