[argyllcms] Re: Noob camera profiling question

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 09:06:41 -0700

On 2012-05-31, at 8:52 AM, Iliah Borg wrote:

>> The Scenarios.html file in the documentation that comes with Argyll tells
>> you exactly what to do.
>
> I may be missing something, but I can't see any recommendations on setting up
> lights, aperture, focus, exposition, etc.

Sorry...I assumed that would all be something that's part of the photographic
side of the equation, not within the realm of color profiling. After all, we
still don't know if Jannes is doing copy work or if this is for general-purpose
photography.

> It is hardly possible to use Argyll to profile for ACR/LR without certain
> manual work on re-encoding the profile into their format.

That's why I use a DNG profile that gets as close as possible, then develop to
TIFF, and then head off to Argyll for the rest.

I should probably add: I take a new picture of the chart and create a new
profile with every setup change -- lighting, camera position, lens, whatever. I
consider the profile valid for only that one scene and development workflow.
It's not that big a deal in practice.

Cheers,

b&