[argyllcms] Re: Mystery monitor profile installed itself

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 09:46:32 -0400

On 5/4/12, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Such profiles are typical generated by Oyranos if it sees no profile
> assigned to a connected monitor device. It is a fallback profile, which
> is generated from EDID. Oyranos does that without asking to serve naive
> users. You can easily override that profile.

When you say "Oyranos does that [creates and installs a system monitor
profile from EDID] without asking to serve naive users", is there any
chance that you could pop up a little box that warns naive and
not-so-naive users that fairly fundamental color management changes
are about to be made, and maybe give the user a chance to accept or
decline?

Anyway, as Oyranos got pulled in with cinepaint/icc_examin, I've
uninstalled the Oyranos/cinepaint/icc_examin software and instead
compiled and installed cinepaint from source (alas, no icc_examin).

> Specs are designed to use the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) atom. You should be
> able to use Argyll's dispwin or Oyranos' oyranos-monitor tools to setup
> your custom profile for your monitor. Then your profile should be used
> instead. I assume that is what you intented.

Actually, I intended to *not* set a system monitor profile. Most
color-managed software allows the user to choose a monitor profile,
whether or not a system monitor profile has been installed.
Unfortunately, once a system monitor profile is set, digigam and
showfoto won't let me choose any other monitor profile (so far, Gimp
still allows a choice even when a system monitor profile has been
set). I have a shaper matrix monitor profile that I use most of the
time. But I also have a LUT monitor profile with perceptual intent,
that I also use from time to time. Once a system monitor profile is
set, changing the monitor profile in digiKam means exiting digiKam,
dropping to the command line, using dispwin to install a new profile
(or at least uninstall the installed profile), then restarting
digikam, a slow and tedious process.

> You can create profiles without such calibration data. Read your profilers
> documentation

Actually, I profile my monitor in its native state. I make sure all
the monitor controls are set to "native" and/or "default" as
appropriate. I use "dispwin -c" to clear any mystery vcgt information,
then targen to create the .ti1 file, then dispread to create the .ti3
file, then colprof to create the profile. The resulting profiles
contain absolutely no vcgt information. I do indeed read the Argyll
documentation.

What I still can't figure out is where that weird vcgt stuff is coming
from. It's easy enough to replace it: just add "dispwin -c" to the
.xinitrc file. And it isn't coming from the Oyranos-generated monitor
profile. So what's generating it?

Kindest regards,
Elle Stone