[argyllcms] Re: Mystery monitor profile installed itself

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 13:18:04 +0200

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:11:27 -0400
From: Elle Stone<l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>

A mysterious monitor profile, "NEC-LCD2190UXi-85414002YA_edid.icc",
has appeared on my computer. I used icctoxml to examine the profile.
It looks like it was created back in March, 2012, shortly after I
installed OpenSuse 12.1 on my computer (was previously running Debian
Sid).

Such profiles are typical generated by Oyranos if it sees no profile assigned to a connected monitor device. It is a fallback profile, which is generated from EDID. Oyranos does that without asking to serve naive users. You can easily override that profile.

This mystery monitor profile seems to have been pulled from the
monitor itself, which I didn't even know was possible. I would have
remained blissfully unaware of its existence, except recently (perhaps
yesterday) it managed to get itself installed as my system monitor
profile.

Yes. Oyranos sets up a monitor profile automatically.

I don't use a system monitor profile. I do use a monitor profile that
I made using Argyllcms. My own monitor profile has completely
different primaries and tone curves, not to mention a different name
and location on my computer.

Specs are designed to use the _ICC_PROFILE(_xxx) atom. You should be able to use Argyll's dispwin or Oyranos' oyranos-monitor tools to setup your custom profile for your monitor. Then your profile should be used instead. I assume that is what you intented.

Also, every time I restart my computer, a video-lut gets loaded. I'm
guessing the lut goes with the mystery profile, but it's just a guess.
I can use "dispwin linear.cal" to replace the unwanted video-lut, but
I would really rather it didn't get loaded at all.

The from EDID fall back profiles contain no VCGT curves (alias video-lut). You can create profiles without such calibration data. Read your profilers documentation to find out how to do so.

Here are the first few lines from the mystery video-lut, saved using
"dispwin -s mystery-video-lut.cal":

KEYWORD "RGB_I"
NUMBER_OF_FIELDS 4
BEGIN_DATA_FORMAT
RGB_I RGB_R RGB_G RGB_B
END_DATA_FORMAT

NUMBER_OF_SETS 256
BEGIN_DATA
0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
3.9216e-03 3.9063e-03 3.9063e-03 3.9063e-03
7.8431e-03 7.8126e-03 7.8126e-03 7.8126e-03
0.011765 0.011719 0.011719 0.011719
0.015686 0.015625 0.015625 0.015625
0.019608 0.019532 0.019532 0.019532
0.023529 0.023438 0.023438 0.023438

And here is are the equivalent lines from "linear.cal":
KEYWORD "RGB_I"
NUMBER_OF_FIELDS 4
BEGIN_DATA_FORMAT
RGB_I RGB_R RGB_G RGB_B
END_DATA_FORMAT

NUMBER_OF_SETS 256
BEGIN_DATA
0.0000 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
3.9216e-03 3.9216e-03 3.9216e-03 3.9216e-03
7.8431e-03 7.8431e-03 7.8431e-03 7.8431e-03
0.011765 0.011765 0.011765 0.011765
0.015686 0.015686 0.015686 0.015686
0.019608 0.019608 0.019608 0.019608
0.023529 0.023529 0.023529 0.023529

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this unwanted profile
and/or video-lut. I got rid of the monitor profile (it no longer
installs itself) by removing it from the ./local/share/color/device
folder (don't know how it got there, didn't even know there was such a
folder). But I can't get the video-lut to stop loading.

That path is the standard OpenICC path for user installed ICC profiles.

Elle

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--