[argyllcms] LCD TV

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:28:23 -0500

I haven't been doing anything with color management lately, having
gotten involved with another time consuming project.  So I need a
reminder.

I'm considering getting a 32 inch LCD TV with 1980 x 1080 (?)
resolution, which I would use to display some of my photography, as well
as for TV.
This particular one has a VGA input, so I could in principle calibrate
it as a monitor.  I'm a bit confused about the part of the profile which
is typically uploaded to the video card.  But although I suppose I could
have a laptap permanently connected to the TV,  I wouldn't want to  use
it that way.  I prefer to put images on a CD or DVD and display them
from a DVD player.

Presumably I can do the calibration of the TV so that nothing is
uploaded to the video card and all color management is in the profile,
and then modify  image files using the appropriate profile so they would
show up correctly on the TV.   I believe I've done equivalent things
before, but I don't remember the details.  Do I have it more or less
right?

--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University