[argyllcms] Re: ImageTarget version 0.1.1 released

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:30:54 +0200

Klaus Karcher wrote:
In the meantime I made some experiments with downsampling and denoising [...]
I think such features would suit ImageTarget well.

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
Interesting - the next release has a Gaussian Blur capability.

Great!

What sort of degree of blurring / downsampling / denoising did you use?

I experimented with bicubic downsampling (to 25%), Gaussian Blur (Radius 0.7 ... 5 -- equates to approx. 2 ... 15 in ImageTarget) and the "Reduce Noise" Filter of Photoshop CS3 with "Strength" 7...10 and all other options set to 0.

Before reporting on the results, I have to discuss some strange side effects I noticed in conjunction with different source profiles (I will do that in a separate mail).

Does it have the effect of lessening the texture from the canvas?

Yes, basically you loose some texture/details in very dark or colorful regions and come down with a less desaturated, overall closer to the original result instead. Your blur slider is a very comfortable way to balance assets and drawbacks. In very challenging cases, one can still make two versions and compose them in Photoshop.

There is also a 1:1 zoom feature for ImageTarget on my wish list ;-)

Good idea - that's implemented too. For now (i.e. until I add a popup-menu) right-click the image to toggle between scale-to-fit and 1:1 panned mode. The three previews are kept in sync, so if you pan to part of the image and flip to another preview, the right part of the image will be displayed for comparison.

I love you, Alastair! ;-)

Your application gets exactly to the point: It's a very smart and handy tool, providing all features needed to achieve the "optimal" reproduction -- not more, not less.

Thank you,
Klaus