[argyllcms] Re: Ideal camera target

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:52:30 -0700
On 2010 Feb 2, at 4:53 AM, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how does one build a decent black trap?

For these purposes, I don't think it'll be too terribly difficult. I was just
planning on using black foamcore lined with whatever kind of black felt or the
like that I can find at the local fabric store.

So long as the box is enough bigger and deeper in proportion to the hole,
nothing except on-axis light can reflect back out.

I suppose an even more sophisticated version would have a 45 degree cone or
pyramid at the back instead of a flat wall, but that's almost certainly serious
overkill for photographic purposes (unless one has a camera with an insane
dynamic range).

The SpyderCube is ``good enough'' and has about (this is from memory) a
quarter-inch round hole in one face of a two-inch cube. The inside of the cube
is typical semi-glossy black ABS plastic. I figure that, if something this
simple, primitive, and...well...seemingly-inadequate works so well, then
anything I make will be essentially perfect.

Cheers,

b&