[argyllcms] Re: Ideal camera target

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:08:22 +0300

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

> Graeme Gill wrote:
> > Something carefully selected is needed for spectrally flat neutrals.
> > Pure K print on a good substrate may be OK, but it depends on
> > the black ink involved. CMY etc. is not going to be flat enough.
>
> Unfortunately the same applies e.g. to the GSxx ramp of IT8 targets.
> Even if the chromaticity of dark gray and light gray patches happens to
> match, it is just a metameric match, not a spectral one.

Yes, just for this reason I've choose the much more expensive target with
flat-spectrum white, gray and dark patches. It's the X-Rite Digital
ColorChecker SG. There is a quite small number of patches in the target and
I've got a good results with ArgyllCMS Matrix+Gamma profiles. But I didn't find
an alternative for the X-Rite target yet.