[argyllcms] Re: Huey used with Samsung XL20?

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:15:06 -0700

On Saturday 11 April 2009 11:59:49 am Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Hal V. Engel <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 April 2009 09:17:23 am Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> > snip
> >
> >> There is probably nothing XL20 specific about your Huey... The logo is
> >> just branding... As the normal Huey is sold under both the X-Rite and
> >> Pantone and GretagMacBeth brands...
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Pascal de Bruijn
> >
> > In fact X-Rite will print any label an OEM requests for a nominal fee.
> >  It costs $5,000 to setup a single color logo for a particular device and
> > then a few dollars per device depending on the size of the production run
> > to print the custom logo.
>
> I suspected something like that...  It's rather interesting to know
> their pricing...
>
> It's actually quite competitive... $5,000 wouldn't even make anybody sneeze
> at Samsung...

For an OEM that is selling more than a few hundred devices a year this is
really cheap. In Samsungs case they are likely bundling 10's of thousands of
these with monitors and with the NCE software each year so that means that it
costs them perhaps $1 to $2 per meter to have their logo.  Multi color logos
of course cost more but I have yet to see an OEM labeled color meter with more
than one color in the logo.  X-Rite will even help with design work for the
logo if the OEM requests it.

> And as far as colorimeters go, the Huey gives excellent value, since it's
> dirt cheap.

I think everyone agrees with this.  They are very inexpensive and other than a
few easy to mitigate issues work very nicely (actually surprisingly well
considering the cost).  The low cost of these makes CM accessible to users who
simply could not justify the cost of doing this a few years ago.

Hal