[argyllcms] Re: Host spectral measurements instead of ccmx/ccss?

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:55:56 +0200

Am 12.09.2011 09:25, schrieb Graeme Gill:
Florian Höch wrote:

them separately, then feed the resulting .ti3 files to ccxxmake. So I
thought, colorimeter users which don't have a spectro just need a .ti3
measured with a spectro for their screen (which could be provided by
another user of the same screen model who doesn't need to have the
colorimeter), as they can always create the colorimeter .ti3 themselves.

Hi,
        notionally you could do this, but the practical problem is
that if you split up the measurement, you can't be assured that
the color patches from the two displays are the same composition of
RGB, nor be at the same brightness.

Thanks, this helped me better understand about the intricacies of such an approach. I didn't think about the RGB/brightness problem. The screen setup via OSD could be manually written down and saved with the ti3 so other users could setup their screen the same, but even then the actual screen RGB values could still be different (if I'm understanding correctly) and this wouldn't solve the brightness problem (due to screen and instrument variability), right? Hmm. Tough :) Contrary to what I first thought, this may be more trouble than it's worth.

Since one of the unknowns
is the Colorimeter relative channel sensitivities, I'm not sure
this could be worked around, even if you restrict yourself to
just 3 samples: R, G&  B.

Florian Höch