[argyllcms] Re: Follow-up of "dispcal not working with Spyder 2 on openSUSE 11.3 (and Fedora F13)"

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 17:41:32 +1000

Alberto Ferrante wrote:
At the moment I have a similar problem (probably exactly the same) my my
new Dell Latitude 6410 with Fedora 13 64 bit. It looks like a hardware

Hmm. It would be good to investigate this, but it seems that recent
Linux install releases (ie. Fedora 13 and OpenSUSE 11.3) fail to boot on
my (very un-special, Intel G33 chipset) test system. They both have the
same symptom - after (presumably) starting X11, the screen goes blank
(no signal to the display), even in VESA mode.
In SUSE text mode I was presented with just "linux login:" on all six
consoles, no installation application. Some hours of fiddling
and googling hint that I need to use the "nomodeset" option. Sigh.

Running through the SUSE installation I'm faced with more problems.
Even though I tell it not to modify my partitions, and the partition
editor shows them all untouched, the installation summary threatens
to blow various partitions away, and nothing I do seems to change it.
In addition, there seems no way of actually telling the installer
which partition to install on, or which to use for swap! So that's
as far as I get with SUSE.

Using the magic "nomodeset" (or even "xdriver=vesa") on Fedora, I still
fail to get to an installation screen - it just sits there with a white
bar along the bottom of the screen and "Fedora 13". The doco says
that the text mode has limited options for dealing with partitions,
so there's no point going there.

Without being able to install either of these, it's pretty hard to help.

I tested the Spyder2 on openSUSE 10.3 with Argyll V1.2.2, and it seems to work
fine, so either the problem is in the newer Linux USB stack, or peculiar
to particular hardware (the Spyder2 is known to dislike hubs).

[Boy, things seem to have gone a long way backwards with recent
 Linux releases - previous versions worked without such a series of
 issues in merely installing it! After wasting a few hours fiddling
 with this and googling for any hints without success, I'm giving up
 and going back to writing some color code.]