[argyllcms] Fluorescent Whiting problems?

  • From: Tomas Svab <celsius@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS List <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:00:16 +0900

I'm having trouble making a printer profile for a very "bright" paper. It comes out looking blue in the reds and red in the blues. It's the only paper I have that looks really off.

Has anyone had trouble with overly bright papers? Is there any easy fix with a no UV cut EyeOne?

I'll outline my process below:

On the bad paper I printed charts three times and waited over a week to dry each time and remeasured the charts. I had no luck.

When I looked at the paper-white spectrum I realized that part of was way over 100% reflectance. Another "white" paper I have came just over 100% but still looked ok. So I began to wonder if this is causing my problem; the excess of FWA in this paper.

I tried fluorescent compensation off and on without a noticeable of a difference in the printed page. fluocomp="-iD50 -o1931_2 -f" -> the proof preview in Photoshop looked blue (as expected) fluocomp="-iArgyll_V1.0.4/ref/D50_0.0.sp -o1931_2 -f" -> proof preview looked more natural

colprof -P $fluocomp -qh -S "${gamutmap}" -cmt -dpp  PX-5500.KJ-G1710N

Here is the spectrum from the strange paper using an EyeOnePro
http://www.23degrees.net/colour/Kokuyo_semigloss.pdf

As a contrast, these two papers profiled easily and accurately:
http://www.23degrees.net/colour/Elecom_semigloss.pdf
http://www.23degrees.net/colour/Mitsubishi_Proofing_D3P.pdf

Epson PX5500, EyeOnePro no UV filter, Kokuyo KJ-G1710N Semigloss Photo paper, colprof v. 1.0.3 & 1.0.4 (1.1.0 segfaults on my OS X)

Tomas