[argyllcms] Re: Firefox color managment?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:04:14 -0600

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 07:13 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Leonard Evens
> <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Where does it get the "system" profile ? Does it use the
> >> X11 _ICC_PROFILE atom ?
> >
> > That is what I hoped someone here would know something about.  I have no
> > idea what is meant by firefox's using the systm profile.  It is possible
> > it is not implemented for Linux.
>
> It is implemented (at least, on Mandriva Linux builds). But you have
> to enable color management in Firefox manually :
> -go to about:config
> -change gfx.color_management.enabled to "True"
> -restart firefox.

It doesn't appear to make any difference whether I enable it manually or
use the color management addon I found.  In either
case,gfx.color_management.enabled
is set to true.

But to tell it about the display, you apparently need to modify
gfx.color_management.display_profile
to give it the value the search path for the profile.   It doesn't seem to
matter whether I do that manually using about:config or by choosing
preferences to set the display.   The addon says that if you leave
that blank, it uses the `system' default.   But there is a clear
difference in what you see if the string is specified or if it isn't.

> To check you have color management enabled, I suggest you go to
> http://1reflet.skynetblogs.be/post/6632777/profil-colorimetrique-utilisateur-firefox
> (sorry, it is in french). If you have working CM, the image will be
> yellow, otherwise it will be purple.

Just to confuse matters more, it shows up (different shades of) yellow
no matter what I do, including not loading the LUT with the calibration
data.

I can't imagine how Fedora 9 Linux might differ from Mandriva.  I am
using X11 as provided by a fairly current version of xorg, although it
is hard to specify a version since it consists of so many packages.