[argyllcms] Re: FW: Re: Question regarding gamut mapping for photographic images

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:03:28 +1000

Greg Sullivan wrote:

Why is it that in Argyll, that the "Enhanced Saturation" intent is referred
to also as "ICC Saturation", when the ICC specification (V4.2) says:

"6.2.5 Saturation intent
The exact gamut mapping of the saturation intent is vendor specific and
involves compromises such as trading
off preservation of hue in order to preserve the vividness of pure colours."

I.e, how can Argyll refer to this as being "ICC", when this intent is so
poorly defined?

Because this best meets the commercial expectation of what Saturation intent is meant to achieve, I've made this the default gamut mapping mode for generating the saturation table when creating an icc profile, hence it's the "ICC Saturation" intent (ie. you are misinterpreting the label if you think this has any official meaning.)

By "meets the commercial expectation" I mean that a real paying
customer found this behaviour satisfactory in reproducing office
"bright and colorful" type documents on their printing engines.