[argyllcms] Re: Eye of Gnome Color management

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:32:48 -0600

 I posted the following and got the indicated response.

> It's of little direct interest for you...
>
> > I haven't been able to find any detailed explanation of how eye of gnome
> > supports color management.  I would expect there to be some settings
> > which one could modify.  I'm pretty sure the version I have
> > (eog-2.22.3-1.fc9.i386) is not using my display profile.
> >
> > I could of course compile eog from source and hope for the best, but I
> > would like some more information first.
>
> EOG is probably already compiled against LCMS...
>
> However... you need to set your display profile using xicc...
>
> http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/xicc
>
> Regards,
> Pascal de Bruijn

It appears that xicc is available only under Debian/Ubuntu.  It isn't
available under Fedora.  But that is irrelevant because dispwin -L
does the same thing.

xprop -root  shows that _ICC_PROFILE has been set.  Also, both gimp and
inkscape make use of it.  But the versions I have of eog (under Fedora and
Ubuntu) don't appear to do so.   But it would be nice to be sure about
that.   I presume that any application which does make use of it will
mention that fact, in its preference settings or elsewhere.   That is why
I would like to see some further explanation of how it is supposed to work
under eog.
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University