[argyllcms] Re: Displays with internal gamut emulation

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 00:30:21 +0200

Yes, if you need the full native wide gamut, you should use the Standard
mode. It is not a question, Standard mode is the only usable wide gamut
preset and it offers great IQ. It is good for any CMS supported softwares
after a calibration.
But not every type of softwares support CMS. It is hard to achieve and still
experimental (under development) with movies (DVD, Blu-Ray) and currently
impossible with PC Games and some D3D/OpenGL CAD softwares too.
ICC profiles work great in photo editor and viewer softwares and an outdated
firefox version offers adequate CMS but that's it. For everything else, sRGB
mode is your best choice. AdobeRGB offers the same quality.

But remember. The display work with 12 bit/color precision. A usual VGA
cards work with 8 bit/color framebuffering and some professional VGA cards
works with 10 bit/color. (And it also requires 10 bit capable softwares!)
So, with a usual, nonprofessional VGA card and usual softwares, you may want
to consider to use the built in emulation instead of the software CMS.

Fine tuned (VGA LUT calibrated) sRGB and AdobeRGB modes are fine for nearly
everything. You should choose the Standard mode when you are absolutely sure
that you need wider gamut or your software will do a better job with a
little and simplified ICC file than your display with it's factory
calibrated 12 bit/color 3DLUTs.

But I don't want to kill the fun. Try it for yourself! I just spent a lot of
time to figure it out, so I want to help with advises.

The only real problem with the sRGB mode is the soft colorization on the
dark shades after a VGA LUT calibration.
But this can be caused by the ColorMunki bugs. We will see. (But a software
CMS with an ICC profile is not perfect either!)

And the only problem with the display that we can't access the internal LUTs
and EIZ (who offers hardware calibration... for a much bigger price) used
the handpicked homogeneous panels, so it is hard to find a good one. (Just
like my old display with the same "pixel-check tips".) :)