[argyllcms] Re: Determining proper error value for -r

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 17:40:54 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:

There's actually a fair bit of "smarts" in the smoothing factor
as it is (implemented as a table). The actual internal smoothing
factor (for a given -r) is varied with dimensionality (3 or 4
typically), and number of test points. I did rather a lot
of simulation runs to set the table up.
Graeme,

I noticed, that the avgdev -> raw smoothness mapping is not always monotonic, i.e. I observed that the raw smoothness was minimal at a particular avgdev, and lower avgdev values resulted in a larger raw smoothness. Is there a good reason, or is it to be considered as bug? I do indeed see the need for a small minimum amount of smoothness in order that the splines become reasonably stable at all, but I don't see a need for the non-monotonicity?

Regards,
Gerhard