[argyllcms] Re: DTP-94 vs Spyder II

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 22:31:28 +1000

Stefan Döhla wrote:
NEC says in the Readme to its current Spectraview software:

The ColorVision Spyder2 color sensor has been tested with the the NEC LCD2690WUXi and LCD2180WG-LED displays and found to cause inaccurate measurements when measuring the color primaries. This is due to the wide color gamut aspect of these displays. This may result in an inaccurate calibration and ICC Profiles to be generated. At the moment using this color sensor is not recommended with these displays.

I think this is a slightly odd use of terminology, possibly
chosen for marketing purposes. If it is true that the instrument
is inaccurate on this display, it would be so because the LED
light source has a different spectral output to those the
colorimeter is tuned for. This could be fixed simply by applying
a different calibration matrix, much the same was is done
for the different spectral characteristics of LCD vs. CRT.

It seems to me like the DTP94 is discontinued ;-(

Yes, since the end of last year. There still could be
stock at various dealers though.