[argyllcms] Re: DTP-94 vs Spyder II

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:25:38 -0400

> The ColorVision Spyder2 color sensor has been tested with the the NEC
> LCD2690WUXi and LCD2180WG-LED displays and found to cause inaccurate
> measurements when measuring the color primaries. This is due to the wide
> color gamut aspect of these displays. This may result in an inaccurate
> calibration and ICC Profiles to be generated. At the moment using this
> color sensor is not recommended with these displays.

Graeme is right when he says that colorimeters don't have a "gamut" or
inherent physical limitation that makes them suitable for one type of
display as opposed to another. What NEC might be implying is that, given the
"calibration" of the Spyder2, the results on both the LCD2690WUXi and the
LCD2180WG-LED are not very good.

Only the very best colorimeters like those from LMT in Germany give a
response that is very close to the Standard Observer function. All other
colorimeters have to be "corrected" or "calibrated" by the manufacturer on a
certain type of display or representative device to give adequate response.
NEC sells a flavor of EyeOneDisplayII that they calibrated to the spectra of
their monitors.

> It seems to me like the DTP94 is discontinued ;-(

Yes but they are still available with software bundle like ColorEyes Display
Pro or Kodak Matchprint Virtual. My suggestion is to keep an eye for one on
eBay, they come up for sale all the time.

Roger Breton