[argyllcms] Re: Could someone help me understand something applying printer profiles.

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:12:58 +0000

Hi,

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

Unfortunately not really - my observation was that the RGB numbers in
the resulting PostScript document were not the same as the RGB numbers
in the image, and the numbers had a rather complex, intangible
relationship.

Yes, that was a quirk of the Gutenprint PostScript output driver, and as far as I know it doesn't happen with current versions.

(In order to obtain the right colors I had eventually profiled the
output RGB color space of the print plugin at that time, and made a
PostScript CSA for it which I assigned to DefaultRGB in a PostScript
prologue, so that sRGB images printed from gimp eventually came out with
the right colors)

A very neat illustration of the fact that profiling measures not just the response of the printer, inks and paper, but also the driver!

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson