[argyllcms] Re: Could someone help me understand something applying printer profiles.

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:59:41 +0100

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> GIMP does not do anything color management related with printed output.  It
> just sends whatever you tell it to print to the printer unmolested.

Unfortunately not really - my observation was that the RGB numbers in
the resulting PostScript document were not the same as the RGB numbers
in the image, and the numbers had a rather complex, intangible
relationship. So I conclude that the print plugin must have altered the
RGB numbers, although all sliders in the "Adjust output" dialog were at
their default setting. But I must admit that this was quite a while ago,
and it was with an older version of gimp and gimp-print, so I'm not
sure, whether this also applies to recent versions.

(In order to obtain the right colors I had eventually profiled the
output RGB color space of the print plugin at that time, and made a
PostScript CSA for it which I assigned to DefaultRGB in a PostScript
prologue, so that sRGB images printed from gimp eventually came out with
the right colors)

Regards,
Gerhard