[argyllcms] Re: Cannot get calibration/profiling to yield good results, user error?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:22:24 -0600

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 21:18 +0100, Karl H. Beckers wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 31.12.2008, 10:27 -0600 schrieb Leonard Evens:
> > You should give more details, e.g., your operating system, your type
> > of
> > monitor, which version of gimp you are  using, etc.
> >
> > I noticed that when I opened the test image, which I saved from
> > firefox,
> > in gimp, I was queried about whether or not I wanted to use the
> > embedded
> > profile as my working space.  In my case, it didn't seem to matter a
> > whole lot which I chose to do.  But which choice did you make?   If
> > you
> > weren't queried, you may have reconfigure gimp preferences to query
> > you.
> >
> > You can also try other applications which  use color management.   Eye
> > of Gnome is one such.  Another I've had good luck with is inkscape.
>
> Leonard, Lars, et. al.,
>
> yes, gimp gives me the prompt for what to do with the embedded profile,
> and I kept it. Also, I don't think it's a problem with gimp and the
> image, because I'm also in this situation with pics straight out of my
> DSLR as sRGB RAW via uraw. I was only giving this test image to provide
> a more easily reproducible test.
>
> As far as eog is concerned, I get the same error and the image opens
> fine. I am not, however, sure that that means it does color mgmt. better
> than gimp. I suspect, it just completely ignores the profile due to the
> error, because the image as eog displays it looks identical to the image
> displayed in gthumb, firefox, or f-spot.
>
> The system I'm on is: ubuntu intrepid i386, argyll 1.0.3 from the
> precompiled binaries on a Toshiba M9 with nvidia graphics, Eye-1 Display
> 2 colorimeter.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Karl.

I've been comparing the image in eog, gimp, g-thumb, inkscape, and
firefox.

They all look fairly similar, but I think that is because my calibration
is doing most of the work.  But the (presumably) color managed versions
(gimp, inkscape, and possibly eog) do look a bit more saturated than the
non-color managed versions (gthumb and firefox).   I prefer the color
managed versions.

I am at a loss to explain why gimp is behaving as it does for you.  I
believe that gimp may do its lown color management rather than simply
relying on lcms, but I'm not sure aout that.  In any case,  I don't see
any radical differences like what you describe.

I hope someone more knoweldgeable than I will come up with a plausible
conjecture.

--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University