[argyllcms] Cannot get calibration/profiling to yield good results, user error?

  • From: "Karl H. Beckers" <karl.h.beckers@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:46:18 +0100

Hi all,

I'm struggling with this display calibration/profiling exercise.
I have calibrated and created a profile with dispcalGUI using the
display's native whitepoint, target brightness of 100, gamma 2.4
(lcd-t-b100-g2.4-f0-k0-qhh-lut). When I load this with -I and -L colours
are much improved. I look at this:
http://www.fc-prints.de/fileadmin/daten/fcPrints_Testbild_100ppi.jpg

And I can see both the dark and bright "1" in the image, the colors in
the flower and the parrot are very natural and strong in the center
(apple and such).
When I load the icc profile in Gimp, select color corrected display, and
open the same jpeg in Gimp, the colors are way to saturated. The red in
the flower's leaves loses nearly all of its contrast and becomes a shiny
red blur.

What's wrong here?

- Am I supposed to load the profile in gimp? Or do I only do one of the
two: either dispwin OR gimp color mgmt?
- I noticed that with dispcalGUI, the profiling part is done with
calibration already loaded? Is that the right way to do it?

I have the gut feeling that I'm correcting twice here, but don't quite
know where to look.

TIA,

Karl.