[argyllcms] Re: Calibrate to sRGB?

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:16:27 +0100

Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On another forum, I read from someone:
>
> "Calibration tries to get the display (which should be sRGB by default)
> as close as possible to real sRGB".
>
> Is that true? I though that calibration only tried to set the monitor in
> a correct state (white/black/gamma) and linearize its response, using
> the video card LUT...

That's correct. You can of course use sRGB's tone reproduction curve as
calibration target, and you can use D65 as calibration target for the
white points, but this is only sufficient to obtain "real sRGB"

    * if additionally the red, green and blue phosphors of your display
      happen to have the same chromaticities as the sRGB (ITU 709) primaries
    * and if the display behaves additive (which is largely the case for
      CRT and some high-end LCD display, but not necessarily for
      consumer grade LCD displays).

Regards,
Gerhard