[argyllcms] Re: Calibrate to sRGB?

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:36:18 -0500

The only part of sRGB a given calibration can achieve is the Luminance
transfer function. Not quite a true gamma power function because, as I
understand, sRGB does not quite obey a plain 2.2 gamma but close to it in
most part of the curve. The one part of sRGB even the best calibration
algorithms can never guarantee is the location of the display primaries
Unless the primaries on a given display happens to have the same exact
chromaticities as sRGB there is no physical way for an calibration to
completely achieve sRGB.

In general, calibration on a display tries to achieve the state sought after
by the user so that the device lands in a "known" state.

> On another forum, I read from someone:
>
> "Calibration tries to get the display (which should be sRGB by default)
> as close as possible to real sRGB".
>
> Is that true? I though that calibration only tried to set the monitor in
> a correct state (white/black/gamma) and linearize its response, using
> the video card LUT...
>
> --
>    Frédéric

Roger Breton