[argyllcms] Re: CMY target generation

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:21:55 +1000

Greg Mikol wrote:
> I'm trying to generate some CMY targets, and I'm having some problems.

> The .TIF that results from this is rejected by Photoshop. It's recognized by
> IrfanView, but it
> renders in negative (i.e. black background, device 0% is black). Inverting it
> in the software,
> allows it to render more normally, but that software is just a viewer, it
> doesn't let me save it
> back out as a CMY/CMYK TIFF or to split the channels, etc.

Hi,
        generally CMY is not a standard rendering device colorspace, the usual
set
being Grey, RGB & CMYK, so currently printtarg uses Device N colorspace for PS,
EPS
and Tiff files. This will be why PhotoShop doesn't handle it. I'm guessing that
IrfanView is treating CMY as if it were RGB, hence the inversion.
Generally this is all a bit device dependent - ie., if you have a CMY device
you want to profile, then there is no standard way of sending it colors that
I know of.

The best I can do is to modify printtarg in the next release to output CMY
charts in CMYK
by default, with a new option (-o) to select inverted RGB or Device N as
alternatives.

> If I generate the output as a .ps or .eps, I can get PS CS5 to import it, but
> the fonts are
> corrupted (minor, compared to not being able to read it at all, I suppose). I
> can get
> GhostScript to render the output to a TIFF, but I'd like to save a step, if
> possible.

I'm not sure why PhotoShops PS renderer doesn't have the 13 standard built in
PostScript fronts.