[argyllcms] Re: Brainstorming about profiling Android devices

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:00:03 +0100

I tried to create a curves+matrix profile for a Nokia 5800XM display
from 12 patches (100% RGB + 9 gray steps between 100% and 0%) and
convert my main screen background image with Photoshop CS5.
Once I converted with Adobe ACE in Perceptual intent mode and once
with Microsoft ICM in Absolute intent mode (with dithering).

Both were useless on the phone display. The skin-tone got better but
there was an awful amount of posterization/banding on both images (the
absolute intent was obviously useless but the other was also too
damaged, it didn't worth it).
(I guess that was a 6-bit display and the images were dithered and
saved to 8 bit, so even the dithering noise was distorted by the
internal quantization...)