[argyllcms] Re: Black-/White-Level Observer Dependency?

  • From: Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:40:59 +0100

On 27 September 2010 12:06, János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> observer is likely to give meaningless results
>
> Does that mean that we need to find our targets in the XYZ.10 color space
> (correct xy coordinates for the D65 white and new may be different
> definitions for the gamma curves as well?) if we want to use this FOV10
> observer?

That is correct. The wikipedia article includes a list of CIE illuminants in
both standard observers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_illuminant. A
change in observer does not introduce any non-linearity, and so gamma and
tone curves remain the same.

So, we can't use the CIE D65 xy coordinates which are based on the standard
> observer. (And the CMS software should also support this observer.)
>
> After all, I think I will simply ignore this new observer setting in the
> future.

That's likely to make your life easier :)

Sam Berry
www.satsumatree.co.uk