[argyllcms] Re: Best settings ?

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:57:38 -0700

On Friday 25 July 2008 06:53:39 pm Roger Breton wrote:
> Typical black level will be 0.30 cd/m2.
>
> 47 does not makes sense? Peut-être que tu parles d'autre chose?
>
> > Roger, what is a good value for the black level ? I have 47cd/m² is it
> > good ?

On most of the LCDs that I have calibrated I typcally see a black level that
is on the order of white level/500 to white level/1000.   But I have to say
that I have only worked with a few of these. On my personal LCD with the white
level set to 110 cm/m^2 to match the brightness of my CRT the black level is
around 0.12 cd/m^2.   My CRT's black level is even lower but I don't remember
what it is off hand but the difference is clearly visible. So 47 cd/m^2 is
actually a light gray on my system.  Are you sure this is not 0.47 cd/m^2?
That would still be a liitle on the light side but not too out of line.   That
would give a contrast ratio of about 298 to 1.  Where as my LCD has a
constrast ratio of about 917 to 1.  The advertised static contrast ratio of my
LCD is 1000 to 1.