[argyllcms] Re: Argyll 1.7 dev on OpenBSD

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:31:25 +0100

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I was surprised to see 711 there, as 755 is the standard mode for
> > executables just about everywhere, as far as I know.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any uniformity.

I've never seen anything but 755 anywhere (for regular binaries). So as far
as I can tell 755 is pretty standard.

> Jam traditionally has 711,
> and other info I've come across has:
>
>         chmod 700 command          executable script of binary (private)
>         chmod 755 command          public script (cgi perl script)
>         chmod 711 command          public binary (compiled code)
>
> while others use 755.
>
> I guess I don't understand why one should be the default over the other.
> What problems are caused by using 711 ?

No clue, I guess it's just considered weird, and they changed it for
consistency reasons.

Presumably it's the least important part of the patch set :)

> I can test some instruments to see how well it works once I get it to
> > compile.
>
> None of the USB instruments will work, because the USB driver is
> incomplete :-
> see usbio_bsd.c.

Oh :S

So I just tested, and indeed I'm getting instrument failure.

Presumably a more explicitly error would be helpful "measurement
instruments are currently unsupported on BSD"... But I guess that's just
nitpicking.

> > Is there any chance you could incorporate the "good" bits already (into
> the
> > dev zip), so I have a new basepoint to test from?
>
> I've done so, but haven't updated the website just yet.

Cool.

Some more info on the X11 header detection:

$ find /usr/X11R6 | grep libX11
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11-xcb.so.2.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.16.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11-xcb.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11-xcb.la
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.la

So it's probably failing because there is no libX11.so

So my build failed on:
cc -c -o plot/plot_plot.o -DUNIX -D_THREAD_SAFE -pipe -g -DARGYLLCMS
-DCCTEST_PATTERN -DSTANDALONE_TEST -I/usr/local/include -Ih -Inumlib
-Ispectro plot/plot.c

But it works when I run:
cc -c -o plot/plot_plot.o -DUNIX -D_THREAD_SAFE -pipe -g -DARGYLLCMS
-DCCTEST_PATTERN -DSTANDALONE_TEST -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/X11R6/include -Ih -Inumlib -Ispectro plot/plot.c

So it needs -I/usr/X11R6/include while it's not getting that.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn