[argyllcms] Re: Accounting for dot gain in press simulation

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:31:05 +0000

Hi,

On 24/02/11 07:23, Graeme Gill wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The way to do a proof is to take
the Press CMYK (contone separation) and feed it into a link
made between the press profile and the laser printer profile.
Typically this would be an absolute colorimetric link for
background simulation.

LCMS can create a 3-profile proofing transform that does this from source data in a single step (and can mark out-of-gamut colours with an alarm colour, too, if desired) - I think that's what Craig's referring to.

(This is assuming you have managed to
profile the press - a non-trivial task typically, given the
cost of running it up for a test chart, and getting the press
to behave in a similar manner to "normal".)

Agreed - if you do devote a press run to profiling (which we've done before) it's worth putting some photos on the sheet along with the patches - just so the press operator has something on the sheet that looks like a "real" job. It also gives you something to evaluate your proofs against, because you'll notice colour errors in a photo with skin-tones way sooner than you will a random field of coloured patches.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson