[argyllcms] Re: Accounting for dot gain in press simulation

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:32:50 +0300

Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:52:39 +0800 письмо от Craig Ringer
<craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm building my target with:
>
> ~/bin/targen -G -v 1 -d 4 -e 40 -g 50 -f 2800 -c ../News_Oct09.icc rural
>
> I've used lots of extra white measurements because it's off-white
> newsprint.

There is no particular need to print as many white patches as 40. Even the
paper have not uniform white, I think there is
16 patches of white is enough. Just place him randomly over the chart.

> The CMY grey steps are because - after my last profiling
> attempt - I want to focus on a uniform grey curve and a good match
> between pure-K and CMYK greys, which means more samples of the more
> unpredictable CMYK greys.

Mention must be note, that typically gray balance means, that true CMY gray is
not C=M=Y. But Argyll targen generates
C=M=Y by "-g" parameter. You'll got not gray gradient, it will be not neutral,
so, almost useless. Let the targen to process
the whole gamut without Your intervention.
As soon as tergen have typical process profile (Your  News_Oct09.icc) witn
roughly correct gray balance, the targen do
their better, than You with "-g 50".

> I'm using only 230mm of width to allow room for 5mm bands of CMY(K) rich
> grey, plus C, M and Y 60% tint strips all the way across each page, with
> a bit of separation between each. Wide enough? I can sacrifice some
> patches to make it wider if 5mm isn't likely to be wide enough to be useful.

Just ask Your press operators, which minimum wide would be enough.