[argyllcms] Re: 1st post

  • From: Knut Inge <knutinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:18:37 +0100

Thank you. I am sorry about this long post, but I tend to think clearer when
I have to formulate my misconceptions :-)

Colorimeters are simulating the spectral response of a standardized human
viewer "long", "medium" and "short" sensory elements, right? While
spectrophotometers are sampling the spectrum at higher resolution then
combining  the response into something similar. After som googling, I have
the impression that the Spyder 3 line share the same basic sensor and that
it does fairly well for wide-gamut displays?

How much of this is software? I.e., if I had access to 3 or 4 different
calibration softwares, using my Spyder 3 express, would they give very
different results? I assume that any application with correction matrixes
for my sensor (possibly in combination with WGC displays, or even my model
display) will have an upper hand, but other than that, the profiling is more
mathematics and sensible regularization than magic?

My display came with a color calibration factory report, stating that
Average Delta E was "<5.0" for both sRGB and aRGB profiles (plots suggest
maximum "DeltaE*CIE94" of less than 3, average of 1 or so) using a Minolta
Color Analyzer CA210. It also shows gray-scale tracking and gamma curves,
but I find them hard to make something out of. Evidently, color temperature
is a constant 6500K for grey levels >25, but strays off into cooler values
for grey levels <25.

When my display offers a simulated "sRGB" mode (that from tests is judged as
fairly good), am I right that it is the only way for me to get sRGB
appearance from non-color-managed applications/OS-es? Since ArgyllCMS make
nice profiles that will not be used in that case, and the display
calibration only touches white-point and brightness (no front-panel 3x3
matrix input)? Further, as the display is native 8+2 bits, 12 bits
processing, while DVI is practically limited to 8 bits (displayport does 10
bits, possibly also with this screen but is not recommended by Dell due to
wake up from suspend quirks,
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19339056.aspx),
this might avoid banding issues.

How does ArgyllCMS relate to Madshis MadVR and "3DLUT"? I take it that its
massive 96MB LUT does an exhaustive lookup of every possible "rgb" input to
its corresponding "rgb" output, meaning that no parametric simplifications
have to be made (of course, regularization may come in handy anyways). But
is that approach more suited for movies and other material that adhere to
some agreed-upon standard, while editing photos in Lightroom/Photoshop is
more suited for the real-time color management inside those applications?

What does Wide Gamut really, physically mean? Does it mean that the spectra
of the nominally "red", "green", "blue" primaries are sharper/narrower,
giving less overlap and thereby allowing more saturated colors? When this is
accomplished by swapping back-lighting, does it mean that the backlighting
consists of 3 narrow peaks (meaning that there is little excitation in the
regions where the panel "valves" might overlap)?

Below I have updated the table of measured values with the tftcentral test.
Sadly, both review sites use the Blue Eye pro. Comparing tendencies between
them and me, I find that :
1. They measure my display to be too warm (5700K), while I measure it to be
too cold (6900K)
2. They measure a lower black level than I do, leading to higher contrast
and perhaps gamma issues (?).

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1265617565
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2711.htm#calibration

out-of-the-box measurements:
                 flatpanelshd     TFT Central      My calibration
Instrument       Blue Eye Pro     Blue Eye Pro     Spyder 3 express
Black level =    0.23             0.25             0.38 [cd/m^2]
White level =    225              208              242.78 [cd/m^2]
Aprox. gamma =   2.1              1.9              1.80
Contrast ratio = 978:1            832:1            642:1
White chromaticity coordinates
                 ######           ######           0.2815
                 ######           ######           0.3378
White Correlated Color Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   8186K (20.2)

White Correlated Daylight Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   8157K (18.9)
White Visual Color Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6787K (19.8)
White Visual Daylight Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6904K (18.4)
Color temperature
                  5867            5504

Display calibration:
Brightness:     22                30               22
Contrast:       50                50               50
RGB:   Manually
• R:            88                83               100
• G:            84                94               81
• B:            89                87               83

Calibrated/profiled results:
Black level =    0.12             0.18             0.25 [cd/m^2]
White level =    106              121              116.59 [cd/m^2]
Aprox. gamma =   2.2 (?)          2.2              2.18
Contrast ratio = 883:1            672:1            472:1
White chromaticity coordinates
                 ######           ######           0.3123
                 ######           ######           0.3290
White Correlated Color Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6524K (4.9)
White Correlated Daylight Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6524K (0.3)
White Visual Color Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6348K (4.7)
White Visual Daylight Temperature (DE 2K to locus)
                                                   6513K (0.3)
Color temperature
                  6520            6485

-k