[arachne] Re: why not shut down

  • From: "Destiny" <destiny2b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:12:12 -0700

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:19:59 -0500, Glenn McCorkle wrote:

> When not in use.... why is your computer still turned-on ?

> When mine is not in use..... not only is it turned-off....
> but the power cord is unplugged from the wall as-well.

 This is not a question of should be on or off.  The cool cycle happens
immediately.  In dos only when an app is not running but it cools down
immediately.  In OS/2 is automatic.  Can have 4 apps operating but if not
cpu intensive runs at low end of scale.  Believe is main reason never break
internal hardware.  Get a machine that had windoze, it's durability is
compromised.

 Much of my computer use is automated.  Something occurs at specific times.
Some days while at work box is busy for 8 hours.  Don't need it operating at
peak temps all day though.

 Speaking with a linux programmer the other day, mentioned that unix does
cool cpu somewhat but operates at a heavier load.  For the linux users,
anyone test their temp operation?  Differnce between distros or kernels?

  Cal