[arachne] Re: what can't DOS do ??? (was Re: Mouse? (wasBrowserWon't Start In Default Home Page)

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:33:12 +1030

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:45:11 -0600 (CST), Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greg,
> There quite a number if Linuxes that will run on the same
> old hardware that DOS runs on, and run just as fast. Check
> out ttylinux or BasicLinux. Is 3 megs memory and 4 megs of
> hardrive too modern? Script files are just as useful as
> batch files.
> Rob

I have heard a lot about Linux in its different forms. About four
years ago I purchased The Idiot's Guide To Linux with the
installation CD-ROM but haven't installed it. I _have_ installed
BasicLinux, but so far I haven't managed to work out how to use
it.

Regarding amount of memory and hard disk space, one of my friends
keeps "re-adjusting" his secondhand computers with the result
that half the time he can't get any DOS applications to run. This
means his beloved BananaCom won't connect him to the BBS.

I have offered to lend him one of my two early Personal
Computers. Both have twin 5-1/4 inch disk drives and 640k of RAM.
The both will run MS-DOS, up to version 3.3.

Regarding script files: yes, they are virtually the same as batch
files under a different name. I have written and used them with
Telix.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v