[arachne] Re: command line smtp mailer

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne4dos@xxxxxxxxxxxx, arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:52:11 -0500

On ?, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> arachne4dos @coollist.com General List ----------------

> Hi Cal,
>     I have a similar problem with my
> Juno mailbox.  I can pop3 my e-mail from
> Juno with no trouble but I can't smtp.
> glennmcc found that it was probably using
> a different port but I still can't send
> mail thru Juno w/Arachne. I have to use
> Juno's proprietary software.

The problem at JUNO is even more severe than that.

JUNO has completely disabled the ability to use _any_ SMTP software for
sending mail. They no-longer use SMTP at-all, but rathwer stricly their
own proprietary software is now _required_ for sending mail through a
JUNO account.

POP3 downloading still works fine... but SMTP does not.

As for SMTP through Cal's ISP .... chances are that the port number
simply needs to be changed in Arachne's setup.

Hit 'O' for Options, choose 'Internet Settings', enter one of the
alternate SMTP port numbers, scroll to the bottom of the screen and
hit 'OK, Save', choose to use the new settings.

_______ Use alternate port # for SMTP
(default is port #25)
(other possible values... 587, 465 )
[or check with provider]

I have also found that some providers are using port #26

If none of those port numbers work, you'll need to check with the tech
dept. at the ISP to see what port number they are using for SMTP

--
 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/