[arachne] Re: arachne and dosemu

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:52:43 -0600 (CST)

I used dialup in 2k, but using plain dos, it was easy to
setup on DSL. Static or dynamic IP.
Rob

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Michael Hildenbrand wrote:

Rob,
Thanks! Of course then the question is how to run it on dsl instead of a modem.

Michael

At 06:20 PM 1/10/2011 -0600, you wrote:

Michael,
I've never run Arachne in XP, but several years ago I used it
in Win2000. I can't remember exactly how that worked but 2k has
a DOS mode for legacy programs. I think XP has a Win95 mode.
It uses a command.com instead of CMD.exe. If I recall right that
is what I used. I do remember making a temp directory for it, but
2k made a second temp for it, that I thought was a little weird.
Anyway, Qemu or VirtualBox or VMplayer would prolly allow you to
install DOS to where you could use Arachne, if nothing else.
Rob

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Michael Hildenbrand wrote:

So is it possible to run arachne through a command box in Win XP?
Michael

At 02:01 PM 1/9/2011 -0600, you wrote:
Thanx for the reply L.D. I might look for that utility. My straight
up DOS box, which only has FreeDOS on the harddrive, connects just
fine thru the router. Lynx was a problem there too. I have lynx
going now in dosemu, but it took a much different approach than that
I took on the straight DOS box. I'll check with survpc also.
Rob
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, L.D. Best wrote:

iirc, there is a program out there somewhere which allows you to affix an ID/name to a computer running DOS. Until you can do that, the router has no way to "identify/connect to" a DOS system.
Hang in ... because I'm sure someone out there knows the answer.
Also, a more active group more likely to have the answer sooner:
          LifeRaft <survpc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
l.d.
====
Rob wrote:
Hey Folks,
I'm using Arachne in Linux using Dosemu, but I have a problem.
I can connect to the internet with Arachne and Doslynx, not
Lynx tho as of yet, but only when my computer is connected
directly to the modem. I can't seem to connect when running
thru my router. The router is a Linksys WRT54GL running
Tomato firmware. I have a DSL connection. I've tried both
dynamic and static TCP/IP connections and a gazillion different
configurations on the router, computer, and configs for the
browsers. No go with the router between the computer and modem.
I've used OpenDOS7.01, DrDOS7.03, and now FreeDOS1.0 installed.
Anyone else had this problem? Did you solve it? If so how?
I should specify that I'm using the default packet driver that
Dosemu uses. Any help or info would be appreciated!
Rob
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --
--
        -----Pine Email on Slackware GNU/Linux-----