[arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #93

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:13:44 +0930

> From: "da Silva, Joe" <Joe.daSilva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #89
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:24:23 +1100

> The reason this doesn't work for you is that you decided
> to make up your own installation method, rather than
> follow the one given in the instructions. The fact that you

Of course I did. I followed YOUR instructions that you gave me in
the message. I thought that was the whole story.

I guess saying something like "Install my LSPPPCFG package...
according to the instructions in the DOC file" would have been
TOOOO much trouble, wouldn't it?

> stuff per instructions (basically, just type "cfg-ppp lsppp").

cfg-ppp lsppp... Nope, nothing happened. What do you mean by
"just type..."? I guess you mean I should enter it at DOS level,
as a command.

Yes, that seems to work. And the system will now connect.

> PUHLEASE follow the instructions contained in the
> LSPPPCFG package!

_NOW_ he tells me!!!! SHEESH!!!!

I wish you had said as much in the previous message!

> This package has been downloaded
> by *hundreds* of Arachne users over the past three or so
> years (no, that is not an exaggeration) and not one of these
> (that followed the instructions) has ever reported that they
> didn't work.

Ah, yes, but if they had been given a false lead that turned out
NOT to be the instructions they needed, that would have been a
different story...

> The instructions in the LSPPPCFG package correspond to
> "Step 3a" below, for a single configuration. Try this first, to
> satisfy yourself it all works, before proceeding with "Step
> 3b" through "Step 3d" ...

Give me a break next time, will you? At my age, I ain't got time
to read every bit of documentation.

If I need to read them, I just wish people would even give me a
hint in that direction.

Ah well, it all works now, and I guess we've both learned
something, haven't we? ;-)

Greg

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --