[arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #91

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:06:32 +0930

> From: "Michal H. Tyc" <mht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:24:25 +0100
> Subject: [arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #84

> Why don't you use any disk cache? Although Arachne works mostly

Mainly because I've never understood it. But prompted by your
reply and Glenn G.'s, I have looked it up in the MS-DOS 6
COMPANION...  gee, there's always so much to read and so little
time...

SMARTDRV is now installed. Unfortunately the cache is empty so I
can't see whether it has helped.

> on the ramdisk in your setup (I assume that E: is your ramdisk),

It is.

> And where is your CACHE.IDX, on C: or on the ramdisk (E:)?

On C:, so that I don't lose it when I logoff and shut down.

I'm experimenting at present with copying it to E: before loading
Arachne, and then saving it back to C: on exiting. That way I
should get the best of both worlds :-))))

> ------------------------------

> From: "Glenn Gilbreath Jr." <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:23:25 -0600
> Subject: [arachne] Re: Delays, update

> NCache.  So, if using MS DOS, add a line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT
> to load the disk caching of SmartDrive with similar command:

> LH C:\DOS\SMARTDRV 2048

I have now done that.

> Next, reduce the "BUFFERS=30,0" statement in CONFIG.SYS to
> BUFFERS=10,0

If I remember correctly, I needed the high buffers setting for
GeoWorks. But I'll check that.

Greg

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --