[arachne] Re: [a4dos-list] Environment Variable - DNS1

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne4dos@xxxxxxxxxxxx <arachne4dos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:41:42 -0600

Eric,

Don't know if you received a response or not to your question
about "DNS1" so I'll answer!  DNS1, as well as DNS2, are used
by both LSPPP and WZPPP in place fo the DOS variable
DomainNameServer, or "DNS" in WATTCP apps.  WZPPP will
use DNS1 setting for DNS "primary", DNS2 for "alternate", and
IIRC LSPPP handles it the same.  So, you could use a BATCH
file to start Arachne that has a line similar to :
SET DomainNameServer=%DNS1%
SET DNS=%DNS1%
And so forth...also, you can add the DNS1, DNS2 settings into
your WATTCP.CFG file for those apps that require one.

C U L8R!
Wiz  <{;-)
At 12/30/99, you wrote:

>Hi Gregy,
>                    I found this in my "tricks" folder and thought maybe
>you could tell me what  DNS1 is in the environment variables.
>Where does it come from?  Also, why can't I find IP-UP.BAT ?
>Does it get used and then erased ?
>
>Eric
>

>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:58:43 -0800 (PST) "G J Feig"
>> <gfeig@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> >
>> > Basically, I only know what my Dialup does...and what it does
>> > is:
>> > 1.  Arachne's dialer dials and establishes the negotiation with
>> > the ISP's modem and "modem connect" is GO;
>> > 2.  WATTCP, or BOOTP (epppd, etc) then negotiates a PPP session
>> > with the ISP's server.....
>> > 3.  The ISP's server sets PPP-session GO and sends back the
>> > assigned (DHCP) IP number, which BOOTP writes into the file
>> > x:\arachne\IP-UP.bat
>> > 4.  BOOTP or Arachne then runs IP-IP.BAT which does nothing
>> > except to "set" the environment variables:
>> > MYIP=
>> > REMIP=
>> > NETMASK=
>> > PEERMU=
>> > ..where Arachne can grab them to use (and I suppose other little
>> > DOS inet programs can also grab them).....
>> >
>> > That's about the extent of my knowledge.....you can always check
>> > them, yourself, by exiting to DOSprompt and typing SET...this
>> > will print them out on your screen..
>> >
>> > .....gregy
>> >

>[Sponsored by:]
>The newest lyrics on the Net!
>
>       http://lyrics.astraweb.com
>
>Click NOW!

Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --