[arachne] Re: Using Yahoo Mail with Non-HTTPS/JavaScript

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:08:04 +0930

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:18:39 -0600, Glenn Gilbreath Jr. wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> Greg...you should be able to use Yahoo Mail with any forms capable DOS
> browser...Arachne, Lynx 386, Bobcat (but not WizLynx, <{;-0 ).  What
> you may need to do the FIRST time is use Opera 3.62 in Windows 3.1
> with JavaScript turned off

I found it at Preferences/Multimedia/[ ] enable scripting languages

> Login to your Yahoo Mail using my login page:
> http://www.geocities.com/wzlx42/ymlogin.htm

> IF...you have JS turned OFF, you should be presented with a page from
> Yahoo informing you that JS must be enabled to use the "new, improved"
> format, BUT, it will have an option button to "go back to old format",

Before I entered my login username and password, I saw a page
with the message "NO JAVASCRIPT REQUIRED".

Then after I logged in, it was all as you said. In spite of
several messages that said I _must_ have Javascript turned on,
there was the "old format" link.

 > activate this button, and from then on you should be good to go.  You

Yes, I managed to read the mail online. As I thought the two
messages were Welcomes, one from Yahoo and the other from the
ArachneDev group.

 > can also set your options to Never Use JavaScript (or something to
 > that effect).

Do you mean in Yahoo? I didn't see anywhere to set that as an
option.

And when I came back and tried to connect to Yahoomail from
Arachne, I got the same old "Bad Request" message...

But since I was able to connect to the Yahoo mail with the
Javascript turned off in Opera 3.62, it appears that javascript
is NOT the problem causing the "Bad Request" error message I am
getting with Arachne.

This is something someone should be looking into....

.   ,-./\      from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  /     \     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v     homepage http://users.tpg.com.au/gmone/index.htm

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --