[arachne] Re: OT: Unzipper helper for DOS Controller

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, arachne4dos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:50:41 -0500

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:51:59 +1100, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Folks,

> A bit off-topic (although there has been some traffic about ZIP files).

> I have just written a small (38 k) helper for DOS Controller (and CLI) that
> extracts a .ZIP file to a subdirectory. This allows DOS Controller (DC) to
> mimic the Midnight Commander menu item: extract to subdirectory.  Piggy-backs
> on PKUNZIP, but easier to use (in my view at least). Makes a subdirectory of
> the same name and extracts with full directory structure.

> Find it at: http://www.ausreg.com/files/u2sub.zip

> Regards,
>  Ron

Great idea Ron... thank you.

That sounds vaery similar to 'Fast Inflate'
which I have been using for many years.....

http://home.att.net/~short.stop/freesoft/arc3.htm

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/sac/pack/fasti18.zip

FAST INFLATE v1.8
Written by Brad Bahr 1994

 Internet e-mail address: brad.bahr@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 QUICK START:  TO UNZIP A DIRECTORY FULL OF ZIPs AND/OR ARJs INTO THEIR
  OWN INDIVIDUAL SUBDIRECTORIES:

 1) PUT FASTI.EXE AND DIRZIP.BAT IN YOUR DOS PATH,
 2) GO TO THE SUBDIRECTORY OF ARCHIVES, AND SIMPLY
  TYPE "DIRZIP."  (NONE OF YOUR ORIGINAL ZIPS WILL BE
  DELETED WITH THIS OPTION, AND ALL SUBDIRS WILL HAVE
  THE SAME NAME AS THE RESPECTIVE ARCHIVE!)

 Fast Inflate is being Distributed as FREEWARE.
 The most recent version of this program can always be found on:
 Corpsoft BBS in Romeoville, Illinois at (815) 886-3233 or (815) 886-9381

 You may use this program as long as you like, providing it is
 not modified and then distributed in any way. Please feel free
 to share this program with your friends and upload to your
 favorite BBS's.

 I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD UPLOAD
 THIS PROGRAM TO AS MANY BBS'S AS POSSIBLE. THANKS.

 By using this program the user agrees to the following terms:

 The author of this program will not in any way be liable for
 any damages caused by the use or misuse of this program.
 This program is being provided as is with no warranty being
 either expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.

 Depending on what type of files you will be working with,
 this program will require one or more of the following files.

 PkUnzip.exe, Arj.exe, Lha.exe & scan.exe f-prot.exe deltree.exe

 Put these programs in a directory listed in your path.

 Program Description:

 If you are in a hurry to get started, just type "fasti ?" at the
 dos prompt for a quick preview of commands.

 Fast Inflate is to be used to automatically Uncompress all files with
 the extension ZIP, ARJ and LZH in the current directory. The contents
 of each file will be put into it's own subdirectory.

 How the program works:

 1. The program will look for all filenames with the extension .ZIP,
  .ARJ and .LZH in the current directory.

 2. When the first file is found, it's name will be read and stored
  in a search record. A subdirectory will be created with the same
  name as the file.

 3. The contents of the file will be uncompressed into this
  subdirectory.

 4. The program will then look for the next file and so on.

 5. If you also want to scan the executable files contained in the
  compressed files, just type [ fasti scan ] or [ fasti s ]
  When all the files are uncompressed, scan.exe will scan all the
  files in all the new directories created by fasti.
  Scan will be executed as "scan /sub /nomem".

 Note: Scan.exe is a shareware Virus Scanning program by McAfee, Inc.
 Search for "Scan" or "Mcafee" on a BBS near you.

 6. If you would rather use F-prot.exe to scan for viruses, just type
  fasti f instead of fasti s.
  F-prot will be executed as "f-prot /nomem /all".

 Note: F-prot.exe is a shareware Virus Scanning program.
 Search for "F-prot" on a BBS near you.

 7. Type: fasti s p
  or: fasti f p
  to pause after scanning until the user hits the RETURN key.

  Note: The P command must be used with either the "s", "scan", "f",
 "o" or "of" command.

 Press the escape key at any time during the operation of Fasti to
 cancel and return to dos.

 Type [ fasti o ] or [ fasti O ] to "Only" scan a directory for viruses
 with Scan.exe, without uncompressing any files.

 Type [ fasti of ] or [ fasti OF ] to "Only" scan a directory for viruses
 with F-prot.exe, without uncompressing any files.

 When the program executes Pkunzip, it uses only the -n and -d
 paramaters.
 -n extracts only newer files. This way if you are in a directory
 that you ran the program in before, it will just skip the files
 that have already been extracted into a subdirectory.
 -d restores the directory structure if any, that is stored in the
 zip file.

 When the program executes Arj, it uses the following commands:
 x -u -jyc

 When the program executes Lha, it used the following commands:

 USING THE PRUNE FEATURE:

 After running fasti, you may end up with quite a few subdirectories,
 depending on how many compressed files you have in your current
 directory. After you look through all the files, and move the ones
 you want to keep somewhere else, you can now just type "fasti prune"
 to get rid of all the subdirectories created by fast Inflate.

 EXAMPLE: Let's say you are in a directory called "newstuff". You have
 twenty .zip files, ten .arj files and five .lzh files. You type in the
 command "fasti f p". Fasti.exe will uncompress all the files, scan them
 for viruses using the program F-Prot and then pause until you read the
 screen and hit the enter key. Now you look through all the different
 subdirectories and find some new programs you like, then copy them to
 wherever you will be keeping them. Great, the only problem now is that
 you have thirty five subdirectories under the current directory
 "newstuff". Now, what I used to do, was to move all the compressed files
 in "newstuff" to another directory and then just prune it using deltree.

 This worked, but became rather tiring after a while, so I decided to
 incorporate the use of the deltree program into the fasti program.
 Now you can just go to "newstuff", making it the current directory,
 and type "fasti prune". That's it. All the compressed files will still
 be in "newstuff" but the thirty five subdirectories will be gone.

 Note: You may also type "fasti prune /a" if you would like to be
 asked before deleting each subdirectory.

 WARNING: Just a word of caution. When you use the prune command, Fasti
 will look through the current directory and delete any
 subdirectory that has the same name as any .zip, .arj or .lzh
 files it finds under the current directory. In other words,
 don't create any new subdirectories under "newstuff" that have
 the same name as one of the compressed files or it will be
 deleted when you use the prune command.

 Feel free to rename the program to something easier to type.
 I use I.exe

 Who needs Fast Inflate ?
 Anyone who calls BBS's
 As soon as I exit my comm program I usually go to my download
 directory and take a look at all the zip files I just downloaded.
 Fast Inflate makes it simple to try out your new programs.
 Just go to your download directory and type fasti to run the program.
 All the programs will now be uncompressed into their own subdirectory
 for you to look at or try out. If you decide to keep the programs
 you can move them somewhere else or delete them if you don't like
 them. After checking out new programs I usually move all the new zips
 to my upload directory and leave my download directory empty for the
 next time I call a BBS.

 This program can also be used in a batch file so everything runs
 automatically. Maybe something like this.

 @echo off
 cd\qmodem
 qmodem
 cd\qmodem\downloads
 fasti s
 copy *.zip c:\qmodem\uploads
 del *.zip

 If you are using a dos shell, make sure you have enough memory to run
 the scan program.

 Try it out for yourself, I think you'll like how much easier it makes
 BBSing.

 This program is freeware for those who don't have any extra money for
 registrations. Use the program as long as you like. If you are able to
 make a small donation towards the development of more programs, please
 see the mail.me file. If you have already made a donation for a
 previous version of this program, it is not necessary to donate again.
 Thank you.

 Some names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective
 copyright holders.

 Brad

 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/