[arachne] Re: Inquiry from Arachne user.

  • From: "Glenn McCorkle" <glennmcc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:27:27 -0500

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:53:28 -0300, rdtorres@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mr. Glenn McCorkle,

> I can't get to open the html pages any more during a connection to the web.
> The connection seems to be established nrmally via PPP,  but when I
> connect to a site to download an html page or when I command Arachne
> browser to download an html page (eg a search engine), I always get an
> open error message which says as follows:

> Arachne Load Error
> Arachne was unable to load requested URL.
> Possible reasons:
> -remote host doesn't have DNS entry
> -remote host cannot be accessed
> -remote host refused request for connection
> -packet driver is installed, but network is unreachable. This may be caused
> eg. by unplugged ethernet cable or lost modem connection.

> I have not changed the configuration at all compared to the one I had when
> I used to connect normally six months ago.  I am using the same free ISP
> dial-up access as before, and furthermore, I get to connect normally with
> this same ISP using the Internet Explorer. I'm using version 1.93 GPL but
> the failure occurs with all previous versions of Arachne too and with all free
> dial-up ISP's.

> So. Did Arachne go obsolete or what's going on then ?   Do you have any
> idea ?  I look forward to your response. Thanks.

> Regards,
> Arachne user. (I live in  Buenos Aires - Argentina)

It sounds to me as if you have a DNS problem.

Please, let me have a look at this section of arachne.cfg

[tcp/ip]
IP_Address PPP
IP_Grab IP address set to
NameServer 0.0.0.0
AltNameServer 0.0.0.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
AltGateway 0.0.0.0
Netmask 0.0.0.0
TCPconfig PPPTCP.CFG

To test for DNS problems.... try linking to an IP address directly.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Z-cpJz7gAmAJ:www.arachne.cz/+arachne.cz

If you are able to get that cached copy of the Google page,
but you can't get arachne.cz via this domain name...

http://www.arachne.cz/

Then we know that the problem is with your DNS setting.

--
 Glenn
 http://www.delorie.com/listserv/mime/