[arachne] Re: DISCUSSION OF WINDOWS MERITS & DEMERITS

  • From: "L.D. Best" <l.d.best@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:07:13 -0400

Ahhhhh .............

Brian C. Murphy wrote:
<snip>
I have not, and will not, use any Windows variety because I AM NOT DYSLEXIC, I think in text, and I do not, and cannot think in Graphics. Oh, I did waste 6 months trying to make the latest version of OS2 work, but never succeeded in doing anything useful, and went back to DOS only (and a bit of CP/M). If I were dyslexic, and thought in graphics, I would definitely use Mac's nearly flawless and virus free OS.
<snip>

It almost appeared to be a major put-down for those of us who multi-task on multiple levels. But I'm sure it was simply a restatement of a stance that things which work well should not be tossed out merely because something newer is available.

That has always been my stance. My International Travelall was still a gem when it was 20 years old, no rust, fine suspension, low-compression engine still purring, and *true* overdrive, giving me 5 effective forward speeds with a 3-speed manual transmission.

However the 1987 Nissan pickup I bought, arguably the best small pickup made, with the same engine as a "Z car" and 5 speed manual transmission (5th being a phony overdrive, i.e. less than 1-to-1 ratio), is past its replacement date. The bed had started to rust around the wheel wells in less than 10 years (I got it in 96), a simple slide off the road during a snow incident had creased the body badly and cracked the windshield (since I'm more for function than looks, I was glad because it meant I only paid $875 for it!). With all new suspension (including air-lift rear shocks), new brakes, new rubber all around, it did well for me for ten years despite the rust taking over more and more ... Will it last 20 years plus like my IH? Well it's still being driven but it is in far worse shape than the Binder, and I've been actively shopping for a replacement for about 3 years. The 99 Frontier I just bought looks better, but no more Z-Car engine; more room in the cab and slightly longer (dammitol!) bed, automatic transmission (I hate that part) but after-market cruise control to make the hills around Cinci more easily traveled (one would hope), and finally -- 1st time in one of my trucks -- Air Conditioning! Yay!! Haven't driven it enough to figure out gas milage, but I'll wager it isn't as good as the 26mpg I got on the old Nissan ... and it cost me over $30 to fill the tank the other day, a tank that wasn't empty to begin with! $30 is an entire month's budget for gas, so I guess I'll be using my scooter even more than before if it's possible.

So what has this got to do with DOS v Windows? When you can't get parts for an IH, you can't maintain it. The new Nissan is fine for now, but probably won't be a 'good' replacement for the older one. The dual core pentium chip in this computer I'm driving, and the two GB SDRAM, would run circles around the DOS system sitting right next to it ... but it doesn't run DesqView, nor WordStar, etc etc etc. However, when I'd finished the rebuild of the DOS system, digital cameras were something only some pros used -- if they had any quality to them -- and the rest were junk that couldn't compare to a good 35mm film camera; and I had to pay to have film processed and prints made ... even bad shots. My 1.3MegaPixal digital was something else again ... no more wasted film, no more unwanted prints, but not always the best quality. The newer Canon 8Mp camera is another thing entirely, and better than pros were using 5 years ago; I've invested in tripod, filters, add-on lenses, and some pretty decent software for handling the pictures I take.

Good thing I have a McS machine because the software I need for photo manipulation doesn't come in DOS, and never will. In Linux, maybe so ... With strictly a DOS box there is no way I'd be sitting here for hours doing photo restorations for my granddaughter's grandfather I've never met (and probably never will). Surely with a Mac I could do those things, but the software/hardware combination required is far beyond my budget ... and I've been anti-Apple ever since I had to choose between Apple drop-down windows and DOS keyboard work... back in 1982.

My computer is a tool. The hardware is part of the tool, and the OS is another part, and the applications are yet another; all together they do jobs I need done. Do I necessarily like how I have to sneak in the side door at times? No. But at least the doorways are there and I have the sneak-ability to put the tool to the task. Do I appreciate the attitude that McSoft and Billy Boy have toward the end users and the OS that will rule the world? No way in Hades! But then again, I don't appreciate how much my car/renters insurance costs nor the fact I have to pay taxes on my license plate to keep the county roads semi-drivable nor the idea that my 40' of street gutter pays the same 'waste water management fee' as the 100yds of someone else's gutter. It's the way of the world ... you do what you have to, and work to change what you can for the better.

Does this mean I am anti-DOS or lackadaisical Arachne? NO!! I happen to believe the two things combine to be a VERY important tool that can be used in places where nothing else -- even a Computer For Every Child -- will fill the bill. I wouldn't hang around here otherwise. <G>

And Mac has been hit by some viruses lately, and last I heard there are more in the works... sorta like 'doze is such an easy target, and Mac can be a challenge??

Bottom line: Nothing is perfect for everything, and everything has imperfections. The trick in life is to work toward 'best fit' ...

l.d.
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --