[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - FreeDos

  • From: "Lester" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 03:09:58 -0500

> Eric: In fact, what you show below doesn't even look like your path

It is my path, D:\Fdos\Bin

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/926/11252006020924ta4.png

> Rob: just as m$dos uses c:\dos and DrDOS uses c:\drdos and then
> additional programs have to keep adding to the PATH statement, and
> directories scattershot all over the system, FreeDOS touches on the
> 'nix system of keeping things much more organized and everything in
> it's place. You pretty much never put anything in the root
> directory.

And here is what's inside d:\fdos\bin, all vital dos staff plus my
own batch files:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1515/11252006021225eb5.png

All other dos files are here:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2285/11252006022225qj7.png

The only four files that I have on drive C are:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5609/11252006021405wp5.png

Fdconfig.sys is equivalent of ms-dos Config.sys and Fdauto.bat is
equivalent of ms-dos Autoexec.bat. You can use either file name,
those FreeDos special names make it easier to install another version
of Dos on the same drive.

FreeDos really only needs these two files on drive C:

- kernel.sys
- config.sys (or fdconfig.sys)

You can put command.com and autoexec.bat (or fdauto.bat) on any other
drive, just modify the last line in config.sys accordingly, from this

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P=C:\FDAUTO.BAT

to this:

SHELL=D:\COMMAND.COM /P=D:\FDAUTO.BAT

The reason I reduced the number of files on drive C is that I ran
into problems with FreeDos' Defrag. It just wouldn't work on my Fat32
partition (drive C) when all FreeDos files were placed there. With
just four files on the drive Defrag works fine.

Here is the screenshot of Fdauto.bat with SET PATH= command:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9114/11252006022508va6.png

I didn't even know that you can use semicolons with "set path="
command to make it look like, eg:

set path=d:\fdos\bin;d:\arachne;d:\mybin

Thanks for the tip.

> Eric: I have never seen a working DOS setup that only had one
> directory in it's path. That would mean that everything would have
> to be put into that directory to be globally accessible. That would
> be poor organization of files in my opinion. That way batch files
> that are put in d:\arc\, his main arachne directory, will be always
> accessible.

I won't put any custom batch files into d:\arc because I always like
to clean install all upgrades, in which case it would just make
more work. But I keep it in mind. For now the single directory setup
works just fine.

My FreeDos version is the distro from Dec-2005 but all vital files
have been individually updated to the latest versions.

Lester

-----
PS: I also love this FreeDos special command: CDD

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/325/11252006024253jk2.png