[analogorgans] Baldwin 630T Problem

  • From: EpOrganist@xxxxxxx
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:16:43 EDT

Hello List,

I am an organist/choirmaster/consultant and
was recently asked by a church pastor in my area
[central coastal Georgia] to help him with the church's
music program.

Upon arriving there I discovered that they were using
a Baldwin 630T [2 manuals and pedals] which had probably
been there since the church was built in the middle 60s. They
seem to have taken reasonable care of it. There was also
a piano, which is often used.

The organ speaks through a fanciful facade of fake organ
pipes behind the altar, which actually have speakers in them.
That was new to me -- but it works reasonably well.

Of course, we were unable to find the service manual.

My first inclination was to suggest they get a better instrument,
such as a Rodgers 220 or 330, [as with most churches, money
is a problem] and I did eventually suggest this, but that does
not solve their immediate problem which is really quite debilitating.

Some of the flute stops [only the flute stops] sound normal, then
distort badly, then snap back, then distort, etc.  An intemittent
problem every 10-20 seconds or so. This is particularly prominent
on the Great 8' Holzflote -- and also on several Swell flute stops.

Is there a special pre-amp for the flutes?  Or is there a special signal
feed into the flute filters?

If anyone familiar with this venerable beast has a suggestion as
to where to start looking, I would appreciate it.

Also anyone who has a 330 or 220 in their garage, lives within a
reasonable distance [say a day's drive] of the Georgia coast and
would like to pass it on to a grateful congregation, that would be
most appreciated.

Many thanks for your consideration of this dilemma.

Rick Powers,
_EpOrganist@xxxxxxxx (mailto:EpOrganist@xxxxxxx)